Thursday, January 29, 2015

Food to die for


By Evelyn Puspitasari

We’ve had this discussion before, food is good. I personally have always loved seafood. Cooked seafood? Yes. Raw fish, you ask? Yes. I’m always down for sashimi. Any day. Hit me up. Have you heard of fugu though? If you say no, shame on you. Fugu is delish. So, let’s talk about fugu. Fugu is what the Japanese call pufferfish. 

Yep, they're cute.
They are also known as blow fish. That is because when they feel endangered, they can.. blow up.. to a ball of spiky fish. 


Yes, that is a part of their defense mechanism. But that is not their only defense strategy, they also have tetrodotoxin (TTX) coursing through their body, with the highest concentrations in their ovary and liver. Contrary to popular believe, the toxin cannot affect you if you get poked by one of their spikes. It will affect you, however, if you eat the fish and it wasn’t properly prepared. Hence, only certified chefs are allowed to prepare pufferfish. In Japan, where the fish is considered as a delicacy, chef candidates have to go through 2-3 years of apprenticeship, followed by a final examination where they have to take a written test, a fish identification test, and a practical test of preparing and eating the fish. The Japanese take this really seriously, it’s no joke. 

Fugu has to be prepped while the fish is still alive. Not to worry though, chefs severe the spinal cord of the fish to keep the pain level to a minimum. Here's a video of proper methodology to prepare fugu. Do not do this at home. Unless you have a license, which you probably don't.

Despite all the precautions, accidents do happen. Last October in Brazil, eleven people had to be rushed to the hospital when they accidentally ate a puffer fish that was mixed up with the rest of their lunch. Most recently, a brother and sister showed up to a hospital complaining of symptoms that are related to TTX poisoning. Turns out, they were poisoned from the dried fish they bought in New York. Oh, did I mention TTX poisoning has no antidote? Luckily, the victims from both cases all recovered.. Despite having no antidote, victims have a chance to fully recover as long as they seek help in a timely manner. In this case, all they can do is to wait until the toxin has run its course, while being hooked up to a respirator that breathes for them. This is because TTX is a neurotoxin that will paralyze the muscles, causing the victim to have difficulty breathing, and without help will die from asphyxiation. Also, TTX victim remains conscious even when they can’t move or breathe. Like a motionless zombie. 

Why does TTX have these effects on its victims? How does it work? 

Well.. We know that neurons are responsible for communication in the form of electrical signals from one point to another. An action potential is required for a neuron to communicate with other neurons, muscles, or glands. There are three phases of action potential: depolarization, repolarization, and hyperpolarization.
Three phases of action potential
Generally speaking, the membrane potential of the organism must shift to be more depolarized than before, which means the membrane potential will become less negative. Followed by a rapid repolarization of membrane potential to a slightly more negative state compared to its original resting potential (hyperpolarization). The drop in membrane potential is what we call repolarization, that is triggered by the closing of specific ion channels and opening of different ion channels in the membrane. Hodgkin and Huxley, the dynamic duo, did a lot of study with the giant squid’s axon to find out that an action potential begins with an inflow of Na+ through voltage-gated channels that will depolarize the membrane, then an outflow of K+ through voltage-gated channels will hyperpolarize the membrane. 

Understanding the mechanism of action potential was a crucial step in figuring out the TTX mechanism. The next step was to determine the structure of the sodium ion channel which was done by a team in Japan led by Shosaku Numa who used Electrophorus electricus, the electric eels, as their model animal. Their accomplishment tells us that the sodium channel is made up of a single peptide chain with four homologous domains, each consisting of six transmembrane helices.
Narahashi, et. al. made a hypothesis that TTX selectively inhibits the sodium transport mechanism that results in the conduction of nerve and muscle. To prove their hypothesis, they treated giant axons of lobster with TTX at different concentrations of 1x10-7 to 5x10-9 g/mL. Voltage-clamping was performed and the result of their experiment shows that there is no increase in influx of Na+ that normally occurs during depolarization when the axon was exposed to TTX, whereas the outflux of K+ was not affected.
Turns out the binding site for TTX consists of amino acid residues that form a pore where Na+ ions come in. When TTX is present, it blocks the pore, thus preventing the entry of Na+ ions through the voltage-gated channel. Hence, resulting in the absence of action potential which means there will be no communication from neurons to nerve tissues or muscles! That is why the victims of TTX poisoning get zombified… 

Pufferfish themselves are obviously not affected by their own toxin. Simple substitutions of amino acid residues in their voltage-gated channels makes them to be highly resistant to their own toxin. Pretty cool defense mechanism, pufferfish. 





References:
Nakamura, Y., S. Nakajima, and H. Grundgest. 1965. The action of tetrodotoxin on electrogenic components of squid giant axons. The Journal of General Physiology 48: 985-996.
Häusser, M. 2000. The Hodgkin-Huxley theory of the action potential. Nature Neuroscience 3: 1165-1165.
Narahashi,T., J.W. Moore, and W.R. Scott. 1964. Tetrodotoxin blockage of sodium conductance increase in lobster giant axons. The Journal of General Physiology 47: 965-974.
Soong, T.W. and B. Venkatesth. 2006. Adaptive evolution of tetrodotoxin resistance in animals. TRENDS in Genetics 22:621-626.
Venkatesh, B., S.Q. Lu, N. Dandona, S.L. See, S. Brenner, and T.W. Soong. 2005. Genetic basis of tetrodotoxin resistance in pufferfishes. Current Biology 15: 2069-2072.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu

Images:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/6e/d0/3e/6ed03e0f3f19e36ca7898fc265c1645a.jpg
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8d/04/ac/8d04acae13e70c35c1fda76cee1c2591.jpg
http://www.life.umd.edu/grad/mlfsc/zctsim/ionchannel.html
http://www.bio.miami.edu/tom/courses/protected/ECK/CH05/figure-05-26a.jpg
http://chalkandwater.tumblr.com/post/106655012503/a-small-japanese-puffer-fish-is-the-creator-of-one
Freeman, Scott. Biological Science. San Francisco: Benjamin Cummings, 2011. Print.

7 comments:

  1. Healing from HIV-AIDS, i never though dr.camala who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa camala, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing dr.camala gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him +2349055637784 thank you sir for healing me from HIV, i am Doris Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was cured from my herpes Disease. after suffering since 4years ago. but when i contact doc onokun on the internet. he gave me a Natural cure that ended my suffering after using it for two weeks. i went to check myself on the hospital and i was tested negative. I can't more happier but to say thank you sir and i use this medium to say to everyone don't waste any time to contact this powerful herbal Dr,onokun On any Kind of Disease he is Ready to help you. You can reach him through his email: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line: +2348101755322 or his Email:Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is always beautiful when you have good health. For almost a year i had Hpv and I was lonely and sad luckily I was directed to a very kind and Great Dr Onokun who helped me cure my Hpv and today I am free from Hpv and very healthy thank you so much Dr Onokun Email him via: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for his great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And i Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have The Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can’t believe this is really true I never believe there is cure to this HSV 2/Herpes because all the hospital have told me there is no cure to it, few months ago I saw this man email Dr.Ogudugu on internet from a testimony share by someone who he help with his herbal cure I contact his email and ask for his help also, that is how he inform me about the cure process and this man sent me a herbal medicine which I took according to the way he instructed. I can’t believe when I go for test my result come out negative i am so happy to share this to the world that there is real cure for herpes, you can also contact Dr.Ogudugu through his email now greatogudugu@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2348063739701 and He also have herbs medicine to cured all diseases.

    ReplyDelete