Thursday, January 22, 2015

Made for Maury

By: Jason Kent

     If you have ever seen Maury, which I haven’t, I doubt you would admit it either. It’s one of those guilty pleasures; the thing you know you shouldn’t be watching but do anyways. You can always tell when you aren’t the target audience of the show you are watching from the types of commercials. You know, during football games you see trucks, Brett Farve and Warangler jeans. During The Price is Right, you see pills, motorized chairs and someone yelling “Help I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!” Well, if you watch Maury, which I don’t, you would know that during the breaks, they advertise paternity tests if  you or someone you know suspects a significant other of having an affair with the next door neighbor, who also happens to be your brother, or dad, or something like that. You know what I mean. My friend who watches the show, sometimes wonders if those crazy stories are actually real. Do Samantha’s three kids each have a different father, none of whom are her husband? I don’t know. But you know what? I wouldn’t doubt it. Why? Because if there was an animal version of the Maury show on the Discovery Channel, all of these stories would very likely be true, and there would be worse. And by worse, I mean trashier- so better. Don’t believe me? Fine, I’ll show you. I will give you animal Maury. I’ll call it Animaury. No, that’s awful. Maurnimal. Okay, Animal Maury it is. I will open your eyes to the animal world of sex scandals, deception and manipulation; the world that makes the stories seen on Maury seem boring:

     “Today we have a special guest. Welcome Tribulium castaneum! T. castaneum, the red flour beetle who we’ll call John, is here to share his concerns about his significant other, Paula. You see, John and Paula recently had about 50 kids together. At first everything was fine; the eggs were laid in flour and started hatching after 10 days. However, John’s friends started mentioning how they don’t really look like him. Now that got John thinking. Paula had been spending a lot of time away and he never knew where. Well that’s where Ringo comes in! Turns out Ringo is another beetle who Paula had been seeing on the side.

 
     Before getting into the DNA results, there are a few things working against John. A study by Haurbruge and others showed evidence of successful double matings, meaning, it is possible for John and Ringo to both be the fathers to some. Unfortunately, it was also shown that the second male to mate had precedence over the first male; fertilizing 66% of the eggs. This precedence is thought to be due to the selective ability of males to remove rival sperm from previously mated females. Electron microscopy of the aedeagus, the reproductive organ which sperm is secreted through and is shown below (left), was found to have a concave furrow. Additionally, it is covered with chitinous spines (middle) which the sperm of the first male can adhere to, shown below (right), resulting in the removal of that sperm.
(a) Concave furrow of aedeagus of T. castaneum. (b) Array of chitinous spines. (c) Mass of sperm adhering to spines. 
     For John, this is potentially devastating. Not only did he find out Paula was sleeping around, but it turns out the lie detector tests showed Ringo wasn't the only one. In fact, all flour beetles are promiscuous- the average time it takes for beetles to mate (78 seconds) is actually longer than the average time it takes to move onto the next mate (69 seconds). Add on the fact that any of those mates could be the father of any of the offspring, and John finds himself in one complicated mess. So that brings us to where we are now. About to read the results of the paternity test, on Animal Maury…right after a word from our sponsors!

  
     Welcome back! The tests are in! In the case of 2 week old 50 kids, John, you are NOT the father! Okay, okay. Take a seat. There’s more. John, we asked you if you had ever been unfaithful to Paula and you said no. Well the lie detector determined, you were telling the truth. However, despite that result, while performing the paternity tests, we found that you actually are the father of another set of offspring, those of Ringo’s significant other, Georgina. Okay, this is getting confusing so let’s get some things straight. There are four beetles: John, Paula, Ringo and Georgia. Paula cheated on John with Ringo, and Ringo is the father of her kids. Then Ringo had sex with Georgia, and John is the father of her kids! Even though the two of them have never met! How is this possible? Well as it turns out, the Haubruge study also showed that upon sperm removal by a second male, the sperm can actually survive on the aedeagus for at least five minutes, and because the interval between mating is so short, that sperm can actually be translocated into new females. Let me repeat that for you: the sperm can actually survive on the aedeagus for at least five minutes, and because the interval between mating is so short, that sperm can actually be translocated into new females. Now let me repeat that for you in a simpler way rather than word for word. John got Georgina pregnant without having sex with her. Not only that, but it was shown that more than half of the progeny are from egg fertilization by the translocated sperm, rather than by the sperm of the mating male. This means that the selection generated by removing a previous male’s sperm has also developed into counter-selection, where the translocated sperm is able to outcompete new, rival sperm. 
     
     The implications of this finding are significant. While seemingly counter intuitive to aid in successful fertilization of rival sperm, it does suggest an alternative method for distributing genes that aid in the survival of a population. More importantly, the findings make it clear that no good will come of continuing paternity tests of these offspring. Unfortunately, most of them will grow up being unsure who out of the entire local male population their father is. Imagine what that could do to your self-image. Well that’s it for today’s segment of Animal Maury. Next time, we will meet a female house sparrow (Passer domesticus) and hear how her jealousy lead to her killing the first born of her significant other’s mistress. Also as a special treat, the female brown trout (Salmo trutta) reveals to us that she fakes orgasms for her lovers. Sound familiar? We’ll you’ll never believe why! Until next time, on Animal Maury!

Beetle Beatles

References:

Haubruge, E., L. Arnaud, and M.J.G. Gage. 1999. Fertilization by proxy: rival sperm removal and translocation in a beetle. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 266:1183-1187.

Pai, A. and G. Yan. 2001. Polyandry produces sexy sons at the cost of daughters in red flour beetles. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 269:361-368.


Images:



5 comments:

  1. Healing from HIV-AIDS, i never though dr.camala who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa camala, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing dr.camala gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him +2349055637784 thank you sir for healing me from HIV, i am Doris Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was cured from my herpes Disease. after suffering since 4years ago. but when i contact doc onokun on the internet. he gave me a Natural cure that ended my suffering after using it for two weeks. i went to check myself on the hospital and i was tested negative. I can't more happier but to say thank you sir and i use this medium to say to everyone don't waste any time to contact this powerful herbal Dr,onokun On any Kind of Disease he is Ready to help you. You can reach him through his email: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is always beautiful when you have good health. For almost a year i had Hpv and I was lonely and sad luckily I was directed to a very kind and Great Dr Onokun who helped me cure my Hpv and today I am free from Hpv and very healthy thank you so much Dr Onokun Email him via: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for his great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And i Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have The Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete