Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Real-Life Superheroes Look Like What?!

Written by Tracy Mulholland

Hairless, tiny, and nearly blind, the naked mole rat (Heterocephalus glaber) has grasped the attention of scientists and laymen alike. They may be visually unappealing, but their physiology is entrancing. Despite being a mammal, this odd rodent is a thermoconformer, can withstand hypoxic (=low oxygen) environments, and is apparently resistant to cancer. Could it be that this wrinkly eye sore is the epitome of physiological finesse? 
Naked mole rats live in underground burrows with inadequate oxygen and upwards of 80 of their family members (yikes!). However, It is these same strenuous conditions that allow for the odd mammals to be thermoconformers (i.e. their temperature varies with that of the environment). Living in subterranean tunnel systems means relatively stable ambient temperatures of around 30ÂșC. Living with dozens of other mole rats also has its benefits; one of which is a behavior familiar to all of us: group huddling. Cuddling up to the wrinkly, bare skin of another naked mole rat decreases the surface area to volume ratio. Less exposed skin means a reduction in the amount of heat lost to the surroundings, helping to maintain their internal body temperature.

            If the thought of living in dark underground tunnels with countless relatives nearby (or on top of) you doesn’t make you uncomfortable, add the thought of hyperventilation. Hyperventilation occurs when low levels of carbon dioxide are detected in the blood. When faced with inadequate oxygen supplies, most mammals (including us) attempt to increase oxygen supplies by increasing inhalation (i.e. me trying to run up a hill).  Conversely, the picturesque naked mole rat decreases its breathing when facing hypoxia, lowering both their ventilation and their metabolic rate by 70%. Their ability to equally match their ventilation rate with their metabolic rate, combined with their high-oxygen-affinity hemoglobin and low basal metabolic rate, allow them to withstand chronic hypoxic environments.

In addition to being able to survive (and function) in low oxygen environments with exceedingly low metabolic rates, they are unaffected by certain types of pain. Researches have noticed that H. glaber is insensitive to acid and capsaicin (the active component in chill peppers- ouch!). When applied to the skin, these irritants usually produce inflammation, burning sensations and pain- But not when applied to the seemingly impenetrable skin of the amazing naked mole rat. Researches used electrophysiology to study the rodent’s response mechanism when exposed to these pain-producing substances. In most “normal” (non-superhero) vertebrates, special sensory neurons called nociceptors (=pain receptors) transmit the pain signal to the spinal cord. Hyperalgesia (=temporary increased sensitivity) caused by the damage of these nerves usually ensues.  This same transduction of signal when exposed to chemical irritants such as acid and capsaicin does not occur in the naked mole rat. 




 While it appears thus far that naked mole rat pain receptors lack the ability to detect acid altogether, the receptors do respond to capsaicin. However, the signaling pathway is different. Instead of signaling a pathway to indicate pain, the nerves go instead to the “touch” region of the spinal cord. Thus, naked mole rats are able to maintain that adorable, ecstatic looking face even when chill pepper irritants are rubbed on their skin.


If you are still not convinced these small rodents should be wearing tiny red capes on their backs, let's look at their longevity. A species maximum lifespan is, with some exceptions, relative to its body size (i.e. bigger = longer lived). The naked mole rat is approximately 8 centimeters in size and weighs less than 40 grams. Despite its puny size, these animals can live up to thirty years! (For reference, mice live approximately four years).


Their long lifespan would be slightly less coveted if it weren't for  another physiological anomaly: they show little signs of aging. Yes, they may look like they’re eighty their entire life, but their muscles show no signs of deterioration and breeding females remain fertile until death. Even more surprising, naked mole rats are impervious to cancer. Researches have just recently discovered a mechanism for their incredible longevity and resilience, and it has to do with the secretion of a gooey substance from their fibroblasts (another lovely image for you). Fibroblasts, cells typically found in connective tissue, secrete high-molecular-mass hyaluronan (HA), a complex sugar.  The high amount of large HA produced by naked mole rats surround their cells, suppressing tumor formation. Though it is thought high HA abundance originally evolved for skin elasticity, it also makes this rodent one step closer to being a real-life superhero.


* For a brief and hilarious summary of the aforementioned points, watch this 3 minute video:

 References:


Buffenstein, R. 2008. Negligible senescence in the longest living rodent,
the naked mole-rat: insights from a successfully aging species. Journal of Comparative Physiology B 178:439–445.

Larson, J., K.L. Drew, L.P. Folkow, S. L. Milton, and T.J. Park. 2014. No oxygen? No problem! Intrinsic brain tolerance to hypoxia in vertebrates. The Journal of Experimental Biology 217: 1024-1039.

Pamenter, M.E., Y.A. Dzal and W.K. Milsom. 2014. Adenosine receptors mediate the hypoxic ventilatory response but not the hypoxic metabolic response in the naked mole rat during acute hypoxia. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 282:20141722.

Park, T.J., Y. Lu, R. Juttner, E.S.J. Smith, J. Hu, A. Brand, C. Wetzel, N. Milenkovic, B. Erdmann, P.A. Heppenstall, C. E. Laurito, S.P. Wilson, and G.R. Lewin. 2013. Selective inflammatory pain insensitivity in the African Naked Mole Rat (Heterocephalus glaber). PloS Biology 6:e13

Shlomo, Y. and R,  Buffenstein. 1991. Huddling Behavior Facilitates Homeothermy in the Naked Mole Rat Heterocephalus glaber. Physiological Zoology 64:871-884.

Tian, X., J. Azpurua, C. Hine, A. Vaidya, M. Myakishev-Rempel, J. Ablaeva, Z., Mao, E. Nevo, V. Gorbunova and A. Seluanov. 2013. High-molecular-mass hyaluronan mediates the cancer resistance of the naked mole rat. Nature 499: 346–349

“Naked mole-rats don't feel the burn” Anna Petherick; Published online 28 January 2008 | Nature | doi:10.1038/news.2008.535 <http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080128/full/news.2008.535.html

“The weird and wonderful world of the naked mole rat” Tim Adams 13 July 2013<http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/jul/14/naked-mole-rat-cancer-research >


Images: 





Video:



“True Facts About The Naked Mole Rat” <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHi9FvUPSdQ



18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. fugly people dont know whats fucking naked

      Delete
  2. Healing from HIV-AIDS, i never though dr.camala who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa camala, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing dr.camala gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him +2349055637784 thank you sir for healing me from HIV, i am Doris Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was cured from my herpes Disease. after suffering since 4years ago. but when i contact doc onokun on the internet. he gave me a Natural cure that ended my suffering after using it for two weeks. i went to check myself on the hospital and i was tested negative. I can't more happier but to say thank you sir and i use this medium to say to everyone don't waste any time to contact this powerful herbal Dr,onokun On any Kind of Disease he is Ready to help you. You can reach him through his email: dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greatest thanks to Dr Oyagu for his herbal drugs that he prepared for me and when i start using it in just 2weeks i was completely cured and that ended my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE i am so happy and grateful to Dr Oyagu . after reading about him on a testimony of Jason Cash on a blogger. i knew suddenly Dr Oyagu was the right Doctor to cure my HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 DISEASE. i discuss with Dr Oyagu and he prepared a herbal medicine for me and when it got sent to me in south korean . i used the herbal medicine and 2weeks and i went to check up again. after 15years of suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX 1&2 at last i am smiling once again. Dr Oyagu also has remedy to others disease like COLD SORES,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES.CANCER,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND MANY MORE. I oblige everyone to contact this powerful herbalist Dr Oyagu and be free from your suffering. contact his WhatsApp line: +2348101755322 or his Email:Oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is always beautiful when you have good health. For almost a year i had Hpv and I was lonely and sad luckily I was directed to a very kind and Great Dr Onokun who helped me cure my Hpv and today I am free from Hpv and very healthy thank you so much Dr Onokun Email him via: Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for his great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And i Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have The Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Want To Appreciate Dr.OYAGU for his great deeds, I Was Diagnosed With type 2 Herpes Virus Last year,And i Was Looking For Solution To Be Cured Luckily I Saw Testimonies On How Dr.OYAGU Cure Herpes Virus I Decided To Contact Dr.OYAGU I Contacted Him He Prepared A Herbal Medicine Portion And Sent It To Me,I Started The Herbal Medicine For My Health.He Gave Me Step By Step Instructions On How To Apply It, When I Applied It As Instructed, I Was Cured Of This Deadly Herpes Within 2 weeks, I Am Now Herpes Negative.My Brother And Sister I No That There Are So Many People That Have The Same Herpes Virus Please contact Dr OYAGU To Help You Too,And Help Me To Thank Dr.OYAGU For Cure Me, I’m Cured By Dr. OYAGU Herbal Medicine,His Contact Email:oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com

    Or Cell Whatsapp Number +2348101755322 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to use this opportunity to tell everyone about Dr Ogedegbe, he is curing a lot of diseases and he can also cast a lovespell to bring back ex lover. Contact him today and get your problems solved. I was fully cured by him out of HPV and he also bring back my ex who has left me over 10 months.I must say a big thanks to Dr Ogedegbe because he works excellently and reliable. you can also contact him on.. Whatsapp/call +2348109374702. or email via: dr.ogedegbe6@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to use this opportunity to tell everyone about Dr Ogedegbe, he is curing a lot of diseases and he can also cast a lovespell to bring back ex lover. Contact him today and get your problems solved. I was fully cured by him out of HPV and he also bring back my ex who has left me over 10 months.I must say a big thanks to Dr Ogedegbe because he works excellently and reliable. you can also contact him on.. Whatsapp/call +2348109374702. or email via: dr.ogedegbe6@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. Thank you Dr.ODION for saving my broken Marriage. Dr.ODION is the best online spell caster that is powerful and genuine, you can as well contact him for the following services, Death Spell, Lottery Spell, Promotion Spell, Goodluck Spell, Pregnancy Spell. etc Email him now today. Email him: odionspellcaster@gmail.com........

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me and my boyfriend were together for 8 months & its been 6 months since we separated. I still love him, but some how feel its unfair. Why love someone who obviously doesnt love you back? Ive prayed & prayed for these months & nothing. He is still with his new girlfriend(whom he lives with) then i fine a comment online how a spell caster help to restored relationship get ex lover back, ” so i decided to give a try coz i love my boyfriend so much. so i contacted Dr Isikolo aand told him all my problem and he gave me 100% guarantee that i will have my boyfriend back after the spell so i was gifted and lucky to have contacted him i did everything he asked of me and to my greatest surprise 2 day after the spell, my boyfriend called me and apologised for what he did to me and ask for my forgiveness to come back home for me, I got really hurt & go through those moments in which he left me, after all Dr Isikolo did for me, i forgave him and he came back home with more love and happiness all thanks to Dr Isikolo the real Africa spell caster so far google recommended this year. Dr Isikolo is a good real spell caster so call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348133261196 or email him on his email adress: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can’t believe this is really true I never believe there is cure to this HSV 2/Herpes because all the hospital have told me there is no cure to it, few months ago I saw this man email Dr.Ogudugu on internet from a testimony share by someone who he help with his herbal cure I contact his email and ask for his help also, that is how he inform me about the cure process and this man sent me a herbal medicine which I took according to the way he instructed. I can’t believe when I go for test my result come out negative i am so happy to share this to the world that there is real cure for herpes, you can also contact Dr.Ogudugu through his email now greatogudugu@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2348063739701 and He also have herbs medicine to cured all diseases.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello everyone , this is the most wonderful thing i have ever experienced and i need to share this great testimony. I Vanessa Tobby and i just want to say thanks to DR ISIKOLO for taking time to help me cast the spell that brings back my ex lover who suddenly lost interest in me after six month of engagement but today we are married and more happier than never before. I was truly flabbergasted and shocked when he did the work for me and in 48 hours after, Kris returned to my house and started begging for forgiveness and for me to accept him back.. I am really short of words and i don't know how much to convey my appreciation to you DR ISIKOLO you are a God sent to restore broken relationship. He deeply enjoy helping people achieve their desires, find true love, getting their ex lovers back, stop abusive relationships, find success, attract happiness, find soul mates and more. Contact him today, and let him show you the wonders and amazement of his Love Spell System. He deliver results at his best in real spell casting. Send an email: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com You can also Whatsapp him on: +1(725)240-4536

    ReplyDelete


  15. We are a certified private lender and I offer local and international lending services to meet your financial needs such as: B. Home loans, auto loans, mortgage loans, business loans, international loans, personal loans, public refinancing and debt consolidation at an affordable rate. For more information, please contact me by email: (challotloan@gmail.com)
    Urgent Loan Offer .

    ReplyDelete
  16. GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK OR YOUR BROKEN RELATIONSHIP OR MARRIAGE RESTORED BACK.

    Greatest things I have ever experienced in my life and my broken marriage. and I saw a wonderful testimony of Lisa on a psychic page about the good works of Dr Omokpo. I never believed it, because I have never heard anything about such a miracle before. Nobody would have been able to convince me about it not until dromokpo@gmail.com did a marvelous work for me that restored my broken marriage by getting my husband back to me and leaving the other woman he wanted to marry. as his new wife after fixing their wedding date. I was truly shocked when my husband knelt down pleading for forgiveness for me to accept him back. I am really short of words to use to show my appreciation to Dr Omokpo For his a God sent to me and my Entire family for divine restoration of my marriage. Contact him now for any kind of help via email: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete